The journey of entrepreneurship is often described as a rollercoaster ride. It’s Tuesday morning – I’m sitting working in my pj’s (something I don’t do very often) but it’s early morning New Years Eve and the kids are still sound asleep. I’ve seen lots of posts online about the last decade and people achievements and I’ve been reflecting on mine too! In fact I’ve been reflecting about the last 20 and tomorrow will be my 20th business anniversary! I will be sharing my lessons learned in business with you tomorrow, but in the meantime thought it would be fun to share some of the experiences I have had along with a few things that you maybe don’t know about me!
So here goes:
1. On my first day of self employed life I rocked up to the office in a suit! 😂 it took me a while to adapt to self employed life and accept that it was ok to be me (without the corporate attire) and whilst I may not normally wear pj’s at my desk I am more of a jeans, hoodie and trainer kinda girl.
2. I used to own a home interiors business with showrooms, lots of staff and massive warehouses to manage! 😲
3. My favourite colour is pink! I even have pink hair… and a pink bed! 💖
4. I was one of the first ‘power sellers’ on eBay and manage to convert 80% of my online visitors over to my website! 📈
5. In my previous business I used to import rattan garden furniture from China and was one of the biggest retailers of it online. 🌳
6. In 2010 I turned over nearly a million pounds in my online retail business (never quite made the other £7k i needed and ended the year on £963,000 !!!) 💰
7. I am a single Mum to my two gorgeous girls, Molly who is 15 and Ruby is 11 we are known as the Gilmour girls and have a dog and two crazy cats! 💖💖🐶😻😻
8. Shortly after my huge success came the huge fall I lost it all and my lowest point was bailiffs arriving at my door to take my car and i didn’t know how I was even going to get my kids to school the next day! (this is a story best told over a bottle of wine) 😢
9. I had a social media training and management company and razzed around the country in my little mini covered in social logos! 😀
10. I used to be such a workaholic that I only allowed myself 3 days maternity leave with my two girls and used to work 7 days a week (thankfully this is NOT the case these days) – I’m a big believer in boundaries. 👶
11. I am a trained chef and still love getting creative in the kitchen! 👩🍳
12. Just 4 years ago I had zero confidence and wouldn’t even record videos!…. I was absolutely petrified at the thought of it… I faced my fear and now I love connecting live and being visible in my business (so if you have the fear of being visible – know you can totally do this) 📹
13. I lost my brother to suicide 3 years ago, this had a massive impact on me and how I view life. It was also part of the reason behind my work rebrand to Happy Heart. 💔
14. I am a fully qualified suicide first aider 👩⚕️
15. I used to be pretty quiet and would be the one shying away in the corner at a network meeting, but now I love connecting with other and now love public speaking, meeting people and sharing new experiences both on and offline. 👭
16. I am super passionate about mental health, creating happiness and generally being kind! I’m looking forward to working on lots more awareness and charity work in 2020. 💜
17. Remember life isn’t all black and white, the rollercoaster can take us through all spectrums of the rainbow. 🦓🌈
18. I work from home with my lovely assistant Emily but also have a freelance team that support me in life and business including my lovely accountant and book keeper, business coach, branding expert, web developer, virtual assistant support, holistic and spiritual guides and healers and course my amazing family! 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀
20.I was recently called tenacious by my lovely friend and branding genius Vicki Nicolson… I believe resilience is the key to riding the rollercoaster, learning from the curve balls that are thrown your way and understanding that often what is happening is often happening for you and not to you! My good friend Sharon Curran always reminds me to look for the blessing in the lesson – she calls them Blessons! 👊🙏
So as I’m on the eve of entering my 21st birthday year in business I am always full of anticipation, big dreams, I always set a word for the year but this year I have 3. Believe, Balance and Expansion.
I would love to know more about you, please comment below and share something with me about you and your business?
Heres’ to a year filled with Happiness and Success!